For my beloved momma’s 60th birthday on Feb. 4, I’m going to run a 3-day custom “Alignment Retreat” for her this weekend (Saturday Jan. 28 — Monday Jan. 30).
And instead of keeping it between the two of us, I decided I’d share the entire thing with you guys.
I came up with the idea after having this insight in Katrina’s yin yoga class:
When I’m out of alignment, it’s because I’m not living consistently with what I know I want myself to do. It’s never because I don’t know what to do— it’s just that I don’t do it. And over time, living lazily and without intention begins to build up and overwhelm me. That’s when I go full-throttle to realign myself.
And I always know what gets me back into alignment: working out, waking up early, spending time outside, creating stuff, drinking lots of water, meditating, eating well, doing favors for people, getting enough sleep, laughing, and importantly: taking action on long-term goals.
I assume this is true for most people. We know what we want ourselves to do but we’ve built momentum in a direction that doesn’t include most of those things. So doing them consistently feels like an uphill battle: it takes lots of willpower and coordination and intention to maintain.
If only we had the environment or the infrastructure to support complete immersion in an aligned life.
That was my “aha!” moment. I want to run an Alignment Immersion for people. That thought had my gears turning for the rest of the night. Maybe I’ll get 10 people and do an AirBnB somewhere glorious for a week. I’ll work one-on-one with each person to design their most aligned life, and everyone in the house will be accountable for the group alignment during the retreat. We can do some sort of qualitative assessment before and after to see how accurately we can track and measure alignment. Gets me lit up. For the record I’m open to thoughts / collaborations / insights on this. 😉
I realize it’s still in the format of a retreat. So after the two weeks are up, people will go back to their lives and might get caught back up in their original routines.
…But two things:
- Having periods of high alignment and high energy are important. It’s like meeting a partner who captivates you and vibes with you more than anyone else ever has—even if you only spend a week together. They’ve set the bar. Now you know what’s possible. Whenever I’m in a situation where I find myself surprisingly articulate or funny or generous or happy, I notice it. I get quiet and let it sink in. I feel the full experience of it. I think of this like planting a seed for more of that experience to show up in the future. A retreat like this, no matter how fleeting, can be like a defibrillator that shocks people awake to what’s possible. Whether or not they take immediate action to continue their alignment, they’ll have raised the bar for themselves.
- I don’t want it to stop at 2 weeks. Eventually I want this to be how my life is. I want my environment and my alignment to be perfectly interdependent. I want my environment to rely on me being in alignment. I want it to be hard to come out of alignment. And—of course— I want this for everyone else too. So maybe we start at 1 week and move to 6 weeks. Then to 3 months. Maybe we develop some system that makes this kind of alignment available and accessible no matter where you are.
…Back to this weekend.
Since next week is my mom’s birthday (and so I could practice coordinating my first Alignment Immersive), I offered her a 3-day retreat. She loved the idea.
Tomorrow morning we are going to have a 1-on-1 over coffee to design the week. Below is the outline / prompt I just sent her.
Use this outline, follow the guidance and set your weekend up for alignment wherever you are. My mom will have my support this weekend to optimize the brainstorming sessions, get at the heart of her goals, map out the schedule, and keep everything organized and easy for her. You’ll have to do that stuff yourself. BUT, I decided I’ll make myself available for some 1-on-1 chats if that feels relevant to you. (For free—it’s good practice for me). If you want this, message me through this “say what’s up” link and give me a feel for what you’re up to this weekend and what kind of support you could use. I’m not sure how many people will hit me up so no guarantees I’ll get to you, but email me and there’s a good chance we’ll schedule a call. 🙂
I’m looking forward to this.
You don’t need to answer any of these ahead of time, but consider them and look them over. We’ll go through and map it all out tomorrow.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Start: Saturday, January 28 at 11:00am. End: Monday, January 30 at 9:00pm
Think of this weekend like a custom course (designed mostly by you) to get you in the direct experience of the version of you that is utterly in alignment with the future you want. This weekend is like a 3-day trip to the future. Your routine will be exactly how you like it, you’ll be acting in alignment with your long-term goals and top priorities, you’ll have clarity and simplicity (like Obama’s outfits lol), and you’ll fit in little opportunities to treat yourself.
Here are the 6 main parts:
1. Energetic Intention » How do you want this weekend to feel? How do you want to feel by the end? E.g.:
- Simple. Calm, relaxed, effortless, spacious, rejuvenated.
- Activated. Productive, energetic, inspired, on point, confident.
- Flowy. Curious, open, free, playful, light.
- Some mix? Something else? Which words stuck out the most?
2. Routine » When you feel your best (tune into the feeling(s) you chose above), what is consistent about your daily routine?
- When do you go to sleep?
- When do you wake up?
- What is your first activity of the day?
- Do you have a morning ritual?
- When do you exercise?
- When and what do you eat?
- What else?
3. 2017 Goals and Priorities » What are your top goals and priorities for this year?
- Start with a free, open brainstorm. Take longer than you think you need—10 or 15 minutes. When you feel like you’ve thought of everything, keep going.
- Now pare it down to 3. What goals got you the most excited? What feels the most inspiring and aligned? We’ll dedicate this retreat to 3 you choose.
- Write a journal entry from the future—say this time next year. Tune into the best case scenario. You’re amazed at yourself. What happened in 2017?
4. Treat Yourself » What would add some extra sparkle and delight to this weekend? E.g.:
- Yoga classes
- Wine nights
- Fancy dinners out
- Creative activities
- What else?
5. Map » Based on your energetic intention, your ideal routine, your top 3 goals and priorities for 2017, and your favorite ideas for treating yourself, we’ll map out a simple schedule for these 3 days. If you want you can start now with a rough draft.
6. What else comes to mind? What would make this weekend extra special? What’s present for you right now? Any reservations or confusions or clarifications?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See you in the morning —
That’s her in the photo up there. Heavens. Love her.